Summer Memories




My birthday is the very last day of August. I remember looking forward to that day as any child does with excitement and hope. My parents, especially my Mom made sure that we had a wonderful day when our birthdays came around. I also remember the feeling when it was over...going back to school...need I say more? It also was the end of summer and fall was looming just around the corner and after that... dreaded winter. Growing up in California wasn't so bad, no freezing cold days that never seem to end, etc. I was born in Ontario, Canada and lived there until I was 9. I grew up in sunny California. (poor me...I know). I lived there until I was 19 and then I moved back to Ontario. Quite a different life from what I was used to. I LOVE the fall colors back east. The autumns in B.C. don't even come close to the beauty of the Ontario autumns. I love the reds and oranges and golds everywhere you look. I also didn't realize or remember how wondrous new fallen snow could be. Everything looks so pure and clean. I'd also forgotten how amazing it is to look out the window at night and see everything lit up...or that is the illusion you get when snow is everywhere. Even at night you can see everything clearly. This year I am especially sad to see summer go. That is usually not the case. My very favorite time of year is autumn. I love the feeling it brings. It just feels different than summer. You just know when its here. I guess it's because this summer has been a memorable one. It began with me going out to Ontario and visiting with my Dad, sisters and family. My Dad and I had a road trip across Canada stopping in Alberta to visit my amazing sons & daughters-in-law. He not only got to see his grandsons but he got to meet Jayme, Keb's bride and Stacy, Jordan's sweetheart. Next was a 6 week visit here with us . He got to spend alot of time with Shelli & Darren & their 5 wonderful children. He knew Noelle & Bergen already from his previous visit but got to meet Emma, Tate & Nya. He LOVED that. It was a great time for all of us. At the end of his trip just days before he was to go home he had a mini stroke. Instead of the drive back home alone (which NONE of thought was a good idea, even before the stroke) he had to quickly fly home. Shelli's going away gift was 3 family pictures in a lovely frame and also a packet of pictures of summer memories for him of the things we did together. I am soooo grateful for the time we got to spend with him. My grandchildren LOVE him. My children LOVE him and David and I LOVE him. So this year even though I am just a bit sad to see my friend summer depart I just need to focus on my love for the fall and look forward to making wonderful new memories and try to do my best to make the most of every day...for each moment is precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers