Yesterday I put up my Christmas tree. Yes... I know it is only November, but I wanted to. Some years I find it hard to get into the Christmas spirit, but not this year. This year is different. There is something so warm & comforting about a room lit only by the lights on the tree. One of my fondest childhood memories was the first Christmas we spent after moving to California. I was 10 years old and my sisters were 6. We had no furniture in the living room because of the move but we did have a tree. It was silver. It wasn't lush and full like the ones they make these days. It looked more like a Charlie Brown tree. Underneath the tree was a round lamp that turned with different colored sections of red, green & blue that shone upon the branches. It also cast it's light around the room. It was beautiful. My sisters & I danced & twirled as we watched our shadows on the wall. Three happy & excited little girls. It is something I will never forget. I couldn't tell you one thing I got that year for Christmas but THAT memory & the joy I felt will never fade. So Christmas ISN'T about the things we get, it is about feelings. The feelings of gratitude to the Father of us all for the gift of His Son. The feelings of love for our Savior and the peace that comes a little more freely this time of year because of His birth, the feelings of joy we experience by just being with those we love. The memories we make together will always be with us. That is what matters. THAT is the gift of Christmas.

2 comments:

Followers